From a Thread earlier in the day

Subject: Re: [hlds] VAC Problem "Could Not Establish Connection to Steam
Servers"

"Mikee wrote:
I found out from a server rental company that I use what was causing the
initial VAC enabled that turned off after about 5-10 seconds when starting
up my HL2DM server, and it took them a while to find the problem.  They let
me know that if there is more than one server running on a box, that not
only is the -sport switch needed, but it is also required that all the
servers be updated to the latest patch.  There was one that had not been
updated, and when they did....it allowed my unrelated HL2DM server to
maintain the VAC2 status.  I also run Mani's Mod, and stay up to date with
the latest versions of that."

Duncan Campbell wrote:

Hi guys,

I have a dedicated server and i have a clean install of CSS on it. When I
start the server, it will show your VAC as being enabled, then within 10
seconds we lose VAC. We have NOT changed anything on the server we have the
default comand line (srcds.exe -console +exec banned_user.cfg +maxplayers 20
+ip 70.86.99.159 -game cstrike +map de_aztec -port 27015). Have you run
across this problem? We cannot get VAC enabled on the server. Any ideas? If
you need more info ask and i would be willing to supply it. This happens
randomly to the CSS servers we host.