I have personally seen less cheaters on my server and I can actually
see lists on mine of people that have been vac banned (
http://uocs.hlstatsx.com/ click on VAC cheater list). Not a conclusive
list but at least it shows people are getting caught.

If you want to catch cheaters for on the spot kicking then have a look
at Wraven's autoban plugin. It's still in beta but getting better all
the time. My server suffers with lag spikes occasionally which seemed
to create a lot of false positives with 0.4.
http://www.mani-admin-plugin.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12812

P.S. I can highly recommend HLstatsX hosting if you want statistics
for your server. Ridiculously cheap and great email support if you buy
hosting.

Graham
University of Counter Strike
www.UniCS.co.uk