Ok. Here's the thing then, you wanted a summary, I will attempt to do
this as comprehensively as I can with the time I have available right now.

There is a general rule for proper bullet registration and game server
performance that essentially is: Your tickrate must not exceed the
servers FPS (frames per second). You can find out your servers FPS by
using the "stats" command, or from a client "rcon stats". N.B. From a
client just "stats" will display local FPS.

Now, the next thing to observe is that by default, on the windows
platform, srcds rarely (in fact theoretically never for a default
install) performs over around 60-68fps. This is due to something called
the kernel timer resolution, or in particular, the resolution is too
low. Timer resolution is measured either in frequency (Hz) or in time
(typically ms, or ns). srcds normally performs at 1/2 the timer
resolution, which on windows is around 7.8ms, or 128Hz by default.

Combine the two rules above, and you can see that there are potential
issues for high(er) tickrate servers. Furthermore, this FPS restriction
is generally harmful to server side processing latency, so in general
over a couple of hundred FPS is preferable for optimal feel at the
client (emprically tested by load). I try to deploy 300fps or higher
depending on client requests and purchase.

You can rectify the timer problem by loading an application which
increases the timer resolution (or decreases the timer latency, or timer
length). This can be achieved (most popularly) by loading either Windows
Media Player or a Macromedia Flash file. There are other solutions, many
of which are currently called "PingBooster" or similar in the srcds/hlds
community. It is possible to alter the default timer resolution
(pre-boot), detailed resources and more technical information is
referenced below.

---

Proper resource information regarding windows high res timers:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Information/HighResolutionTimers.html

How to find out your current timer resolution on windows:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ClockRes.html

---