I dont run a server anymore so take this for what is which is only my
recollection of things with cs and tfc (steam and nosteam).

#1) There was long time ago it was like 4k, however I also recall it being
raised about a year'ish ago to I think to something like 32k or 64k, One would
assume there is not a limit it source, but certainly not that low.

#2) used to be, I think they finally fixed that at the same time, one related
to the other as I recall.

I think either you've found a bug, which is about as likely as it is unlikey,
but I would think there would be alot of people reporting this already, or
something else is to blame for the activity your seeing. Perhaps there is
something it's choking on while adding the 2778th ban.

...another useless post by me :)