But he is right about the anomolies exhibited by the browser.  There's just
something not 'connected' quite right on the initial motd html page, and why on
earth would there be a character limit for said page to even appear??

I think it's more about the engine being told HOW to parse the motd.txt file
which does not include the entire HTML set when parsing just the motd file.
However, if the browser is told to go to a specific site [i.e. the
non-necessity of proper html to redirect the motd to an outside url address]
then at that point the real IE (although JavaScript doesn't work, is this by
design Alfred?) kicks in and parses the HTML the way you intended it to be
displayed.

Just a theory, might be wrong.

--Ozz