-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jack
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 2:15 PM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: RE:[hlds] HLDS on a machine with 4gb RAM

U have the wrong end of the stick

With 4Gb of virtual memory the address space is usually split so that 2Gb of
address space is directly accessible to the application and the other 2Gb is
only accessible to the Windows executive software.
This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual
address space above 2Gb.
But only on applications that are coded to take advantage of this - Hence
3Gb aware.

It's always being a miss-leading thing in that using it you actually
restrict the Windows executive software to only being able to access up to
1Gb - Perfect in say a SQL scenario where you want SQL to address 3Gb.

& the switch goes in the boot.ini not hlds start up - it's an o/s thing