Well if your networking is unable to handle more than 20 connections at once
then it would EXPLAIN your fps problems because now your comp is stopping to
check the 1st 20, then re-establish the incoming connection to the remainder
and THEN it would have to PROCESS all the info to properly generate outputs to
all players where once AGAIN it would have to go thru the same BS to keep all
data accurate for all players.

That means more cpu cycles burned up which results in lower fps.

I'm only trying to help and you'll have to keep an open mind when diagnosing
such concerns or you will continue to have a full server at 30 fps or
less.......... Since you seem to have written off possible cpu/memory problems
there really isnt anywhere else to look.

Networking also includes firewalls..... take that as a hint.

-Ozz