Thanks Alfred

Just one steam "Feature"(bug)to add.  I know this is a case of:

Patient: "Doctor, my arm hurts if I do this"
Doctor: "Don't do it then"

but I thought i would bring this up.

Setting sv_lan 0 while steam is in offline mode causes both HL1 and Source
engine games to crash instead of saying: "Could not establish connection to
Steam servers."

Happens when -insecure is set too, so I know its not VAC related.

When Online mode is running and running a listen server, disconnecting the
network and then setting sv_lan 0 brings up the message: "Could not
establish connection to Steam servers."  When Offline mode is running and
the network becomes connected, you get "Connection to Steam servers
successful."

Thats about as much information as I have at the moment to help you resolve
if it ever becomes a higher priority.

Thanks again
Regards

- James