I'm not debating that it shouldn't have a floor cap value, I'm saying do not
make this a cheat cvar, it isn't one, and if it's being misused then that is
the server op's fault.  We have plenty of tools available to 'fix' a degenerate
rate hacker, and more tools are in develepment that will help us control this
problem.

But don't take away from the honest user who needs to adjust these things
because of all the factors that go into how the engine's netcoding reacts on
all the different users out there.

You have determined that your cmdrate should be 80, mine is 85, I know others
that can't get above 20 without choke.  They aren't trying to cheat, or abuse,
they are simply trying to get smooth game performance with what they have [for
equipment].

Now although your suggestion would work, in theory, for fixing the ranges
associated with connection type, you are now once again right back to relying
on the user to be 'honest' in picking their connection type in the Steam
settings interface.  Who's to say the user doesn't pick dial-up to try and
abuse the rate settings when he is indeed on a high-speed cable connection?

The answer lies in the server ops using a wwcl type config adjuster for use on
the servers.  This way, as server op, you can adjust your client's settings as
you see fit without imposing sanctions on the next server op who may feel your
settings are inadequate and would prefer to use his own methods of controlling
his clients without restricting other server ops in the process.

If there are a large majority of you complaining of this problem, I don't know
it.  It used to be a problem before in goldsource, and it was remedied,
quickly.  You really don't have to lean on Valve for this issue, you can
rectify it yourselves, without affecting the next guy.

--Ozz