Ok. I'm not sure what you mean by class c. my external address is usually
something along the lines of 172.214.55.136

I have read somewhere that when you set up a server on a lan, you connect
via the lan ip and everyone else (over the net) connects via the external ip
address.

For ppl to connect with the external one, you just forward all ports and
they should be able to join.

The server is running on the machine that is directly connected to the net
so I hadn't bothered with port forwarding, as it should behave like any
normal server (i.e. not on a lan as well). But, I tried it just in case. It
told me it could not bind the udp ports.

I have tried to set the external ip in the command line but it still gives
me the "lan game" error.

My lan ips are:
Server 192.168.0.1
My Machine 192.168.0.2

My Internet IP is always 172.???.???.???