Not sure it is the same, but I ran into this yesterday on my server and
I had to add a trailing / to the url in server.cfg, restarted the server
and it started working.

"http://www.deadice.us/ookssteamingpileofcrap/gearbox/";

Curious if that helps?

Ook wrote:

I just noticed that players no longer download maps from my hosting site.
AFAIK I have changed nothing. My sv_downloadurl is
"http://www.deadice.us/ookssteamingpileofcrap/gearbox";. The following
file
exists:
http://www.deadice.us/ookssteamingpileofcrap/gearbox/maps/kitkat_rats.bsp.

Yet players join the server and download the map from the server
instead. Is
this something that a recent update broke? Am I missing something?