sv_maxupdaterate is the maximum amount of updates per second, its not a
directly related bandwidth calculation

The maximum for both HLDS & SRCDS is effectively 100 now since the
corresponding client side command cl_updaterate has a hardcoded limit of
100, or at least as far as I am aware, without cheats, thats the highest you
can set it, i.e. If a client sets cl_updaterate to 1000 it will still only
go up to 100, or at least it did up until recently.

sv_maxrate does effect the maximum amount of bandwidth the each
client/server can use and in measured in bytes and at least for SRCDS has a
hardcoded maximum of 30000, I think the hardcoded maximum for HLDS is 25000
for LAN and 20000 for Interbet servers, but that may not be 100% correct.

http://whisper.ausgamers.com/wiki/index.php/Tickrate