Uhm... no.

Avast anti virus. Excellent and free for home users. There are others as
well.

AdAware SE Personal. Also excellent and free. Many others as well.

There are many different flavors of office products for MS platforms.
Some are free and okay, others like Open Office are not quite free but
are very good to work with. Considerably cheaper than the MS
counterparts. Just because a person uses a MS OS doesn't mean they have
to use all MS products. If the end users would take the time to learn
about the OS as *nix users do, there would be considerably fewer problems.

Does MS release an inferior product? They used to, yes. Many changes
have been made to alleviate that. We cannot blame MS for the ineptitude
of the end users however. We can say that they released a product that
makes it easier for end users to screw it up. That I would
wholeheartedly agree with. Running an OS with admin rights is just plain
stupid. Every admin knows this. Many do it anyway. Quite a number of
*nix users do it as well. So, the flaw isn't necessarily with the OS as
much as it's with the user.

Link

Dave Williams wrote:
Adam it was a point not that it actually happens. But if i used windows
on my desktop it would be expected that i bought a virus scanner @ about
£50, spyware/malware protection @ about £20 - £30, an office suite
(microsoft would prefer it it if was ms office too) @ £500+ depending on
the flavour.

With linux all i have to do is spend about an hour d/ling a distro off
the net. I then spend 45 mins installing it and bob's your uncle fully
working os with office suite and more tools that i care to mention (that
would cost hundreds of pounds to get a similar amount for windows)
that's virtually virus proof and no one bothers writing malware for
because they won't be able to get it to run on the remote system.

Adam Sando wrote:

Dave, you obviously do not know the first thing about managing servers
running Windows Operating Systems. If your machine is being "trashed" by
spyware/malware/etc-ware, and you need to re-install it every week,
perhaps you need to do two things:
1. Stop installing un-trusted junk on your server
2. Learn how to admin a Windows server/desktop, so you can fix your
stupid mistakes made in point #1 above.

Servers installed by me back when Windows 2000 first came out, are still
running with the same crusty version of Windows 2000 quite happily. This
is primarily because I don't install every piece of junk on them, and
use a UAT-esque system for testing new application deployments. This, I
would have thought, would be considered best practice - and as part of
your UAT phase, you would discover things like "oh wow this cool server
tool installs bonzi buddy as part of its package. I better not put that
on my production system".

All you have shown Dave, is ignorance.

Oh, and please do not flame me coz im 12 and uber leet lololol rofl etc
etc.

Regards,
Adam