Enlighten me? Please?

kyle wrote:
LOL you obviously don't know much about the law chad.

-------Original Message-------

From: Chad

Date: 12/09/06 14:47:36

To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com

Subject: Re: [hlds] VALVe wants advertisements in CS 1.6

here is what came up in the retail cd istallation

YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE

TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, YOU MAY NOT INSTALL THE SOFTWARE AND MUST

IMMEDIATELY RETURN IT FOR A REFUND FROM YOUR RETAILER OR SIERRA.

This software program, any printed materials, any on-line or electronic

documentation, and any and all copies and derivative works of such

software program and materials (the "Program") are the copyrighted work

of Sierra On-Line, Inc., its subsidiaries, licensors and/or its

suppliers. All use of the Program is governed by the terms of the End

User License Agreement which is provided below ("License Agreement").

The Program is solely for use by end users according to the terms of the

License Agreement. Any use, reproduction or redistribution of the

Program not in accordance with the terms of the License Agreement is

expressly prohibited. The Program consists in part of content and/or

code (collectively, the ID-Content) licensed from Id Software, Inc. (Id

Software). Id Software’s rights with respect to the ID-Content are

protected pursuant to the terms of this License Agreement and as

otherwise protectable under applicable law.

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

1. Limited Use License. Sierra On-Line, Inc. ("Sierra") hereby grants,

and by installing the Program you thereby accept, a limited,

non-exclusive license and right to install and use one (1) copy of the

Program for your personal use on either a home or portable computer. You

may not network the Program or otherwise install it or use it on more

than one computer at a time. The Program contains a Level Editor (the

"Editor") that allows you to create custom levels or other materials for

your personal, noncommercial use in connection with the Program ("New

Materials"). All use of the Editor is subject to this License Agreement.

The Program is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or

ownership in the Program.

2. Ownership. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property

rights in and to the Program and any and all copies thereof (including

but not limited to any titles, computer code, themes, objects,

characters, character names, stories, text, dialog, catch phrases,

locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions,

audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related

documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Program) are owned by

Sierra or its licensors and/or Id Software. The Program is protected by

the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright

treaties and conventions and other laws. All rights are reserved. The

Program may contain certain licensed materials and Sierra’s licensors

and/or Id Software may act to protect their rights in the event of any

violation of this License Agreement.

3. Responsibilities of End User.

A. Subject to the grant of license hereinabove, you may not, in whole or

in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive

source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, modify, alter,

publicly display, or create derivative works based on the Program, or

remove any proprietary notices or labels on the Program.

B. The Program is licensed to you as a single product. Its component

parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

C. You are entitled to use the Program and New Materials for your own

personal use, but you are not entitled to:

(i) sell or transfer reproductions of the Program to other parties in

any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Program to others;

(ii) exploit the Program or any of its respective parts for any

commercial purpose including, but not limited to, use at a cyber café,

computer gaming center or any other location-based site;

(iii) use or allow third parties to use the Editor and the New Materials

created thereby for commercial purposes including, but not limited to,

distribution of New Materials on a stand alone basis or packaged with

other software or hardware through any and all distribution channels,

including, but not limited to, retail sales and on-line electronic

distribution without the express written consent of Sierra. Sierra

encourages noncommercial distribution of quality new Program levels; if

you desire to commercially distribute New Materials, please contact

Sierra for the terms and conditions under which such New Materials may

be commercially distributed; and/or

(iv) host or provide matchmaking services for the Program or emulate or

redirect the communication protocols used by Sierra in the network

feature of the Program, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying

or adding components to the Program, use of a utility program or any

other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose

including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network

play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part

of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of

Sierra; provided, however, you are permitted to host matchmaking

services for the Program for Internet play solely on a noncommercial

basis (e.g., without charge of any kind and on a noncommercial site

without any associated commercial activity, such as advertising or

commercial linking or framing). Sierra has no liability and provides no

warranty concerning Internet play performance of the Program.

D. You must back-up to another secure location, on a regular basis, any

data files concerning your use of the Program as Sierra has no liability

for lost or corrupted data.

4. Assignment. Neither this License Agreement nor any part or portion

hereof shall be assigned or sublicensed by you. Sierra, Id Software and

Sierra’s licensors may each assign their respective rights under this

License Agreement in the assigning party’s sole discretion.

5. Termination. This License Agreement is effective until terminated.

You may terminate the License Agreement at any time by destroying the

Program and all New Materials. If you fail to comply with or breach any

term or condition of this License Agreement, YOUR LICENSES AND THIS

LICENSE AGREEMENT ARE AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATED, WITHOUT NOTICE, AND

SIERRA, ID SOFTWARE AND/OR ANY OF SIERRA’S LICENSORS MAY PURSUE ALL

RELIEF AND REMEDIES AGAINST YOU WHICH ARE AVAILABLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW

AND/OR THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT. Upon termination of this License

Agreement, you must immediately destroy the Program and all New Materials.

6. Export Controls. The Program may not be re-exported, downloaded or

otherwise exported into (or to a national or resident of) any country to

which the U.S. has embargoed goods, or to anyone on the U.S. Treasury

Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce

Department’s Table of Denial Orders. By installing the Program, you are

agreeing to the foregoing and you are representing and warranting that

you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident

of any such country or on any such list.

7. Limited Warranty. SIERRA, ID SOFTWARE AND SIERRA’S LICENSORS

EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, EDITOR, AND MANUAL(S).

THE PROGRAM, EDITOR, AND MANUAL(S) ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY

OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION,

THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR

PURPOSE AND/OR NONINFRINGEMENT. SIERRA, ID SOFTWARE AND SIERRA’S

LICENSORS FURTHER DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO YEAR 2000

COMPLIANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. SPECIFICALLY, SIERRA, ID SOFTWARE AND

SIERRA’S LICENSORS MAKE NO WARRANTIES THAT THE PERFORMANCE OR

FUNCTIONALITY OF THE PROGRAM WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY DATES PRIOR TO,

DURING OR AFTER THE YEAR 2000, OR THAT THE PROGRAM WILL BE CAPABLE OF

CORRECTLY PROCESSING, PROVIDING, AND/OR RECEIVING DATE INFORMATION

WITHIN AND BETWEEN CENTURIES, INCLUDING THE PROPER EXCHANGE OF DATE

INFORMATION BETWEEN PRODUCTS OR APPLICATIONS. ANY WARRANTY AGAINST

INFRINGEMENT THAT MAY BE PROVIDED IN SECTION 2-312(3) OF THE UNIFORM C

OMMERCIAL CODE AND/OR IN ANY OTHER COMPARABLE STATE STATUTE IS EXPRESSLY

DISCLAIMED. The entire risk arising out of use or performance of the

Program remains with you, however Sierra warrants up to and including 90

days from the date of your purchase of the Program that the master disk

on which the Program is furnished shall be free from defects in material

and workmanship. In the event that the master disk proves to be

defective during that time period, and upon presentation to Sierra of

proof of purchase of the defective Program, Sierra will at its option 1)

correct any defect, 2) provide you with a product of equal or lesser

value, or 3) refund your money. This paragraph 7. shall survive the

termination of this License Agreement.

8. Limitation of Liability. NONE OF SIERRA, ITS PARENT, SUBSIDIARIES,

AFFILIATES OR LICENSORS OR ID SOFTWARE SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR

LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE PROGRAM OR

EDITOR INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE,

COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, DATA LOSS, DATA CORRUPTION, LOSS OF

PROFITS, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR ANY

AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, WHETHER ARISING FROM BREACH

OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT PRODUCT

LIABILITY OR OTHER LEGAL REMEDY, EVEN IF SIERRA, ID SOFTWARE OR SIERRA’S

LICENSORS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR EVEN

IF SUCH DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE. Some states do not allow the exclusion

or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or allow

limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above

limitations may not apply to you. This paragraph 8. shall survive the

termination of this License Agreement.

9. Equitable Remedies. You hereby agree that Sierra, Id Software and/or

Sierra’s licensors would be irreparably damaged if the terms of this

License Agreement were not specifically enforced, and therefore you

agree that Sierra, Id Software and/or Sierra’s licensors shall be

entitled, without bond, other security, or proof of damages, to

appropriate equitable remedies (including injunctive relief to prohibit

a breach of this License Agreement) with respect to threatened or actual

breaches of this License Agreement, in addition to such other remedies

as Sierra, Id Software and/or Sierra’s licensors may otherwise have

available to it under applicable laws and/or this License Agreement.

10. Miscellaneous. This License Agreement shall be deemed to have been

made and executed in the State of Washington and any dispute arising

hereunder shall be resolved in accordance with the law of the State of

Washington and applicable federal law. Except with respect to claims

brought by Id Software, you agree that any claim asserted in any legal

proceeding by one of the parties against the other shall be commenced

and maintained in any state or federal court located in the State of

Washington, King County, having subject matter jurisdiction with respect

to the dispute between the parties. Exclusive venue for all litigation

involving Id Software shall be in Dallas County, Texas and you agree to

submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in Dallas County, Texas for any

such litigation. This License Agreement may be amended, altered or

modified only by an instrument in writing specifying such amendment,

alteration or modification, which is executed by all parties to be bound

by such amendment, alteration o

r modification. In the event that any provision of this License

Agreement shall be held by a court or other tribunal of competent

jurisdiction to be unenforceable, such provision will be enforced to the

maximum extent permissible and the remaining portions of this License

Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.

You hereby acknowledge that you have read and understand the foregoing

License Agreement and agree that the action of installing the Program is

an acknowledgment of your agreement to be bound by the terms and

conditions of the License Agreement contained herein. You also

acknowledge and agree that this License Agreement is the complete and

exclusive statement of the agreement between Sierra, Id Software and

Sierra’s licensors, on the one hand, and you, on the other hand, and

that the License Agreement supersedes any prior or contemporaneous

agreement, either oral or written (including inconsistent statements in

written materials and online help accompanying the Program), and any

other communications between Sierra, Id Software and/or Sierra’s

licensors and you.

THE SIERRA NO-RISK GUARANTEE

The Promise: We want you to be happy with every Sierra product you

purchase from us. Period. If for any reason you're unhappy with the

Program, return it within 90 days of your purchase for an exchange or a

full refund.

The Only Catch: You've got to tell us why you don't like the Program.

Otherwise, we'll never get any better. Send the Program back to us

within 90 days of your purchase, postage prepaid, along with your

original, dated sales receipt and we promise we'll make things right.

Disk and or Manual Replacement: Product Returns:*

Sierra On-Line Fulfillment Sierra On-Line Returns

4100 West 190th Street 4100 West 190th Street

Torrance, CA 90504 Torrance, CA 90504

*Returns valid in North America only.

kyle wrote:

Someone needs to look over the valve/steam TOS and see if there is a way

they can be sued in order to stop them from being total jackasses and

ruining the games we all paid for months and years ago.

I mean if we all bought a game and it didn't say in the TOS  "in the

future

we will be pumping adds to you in game" ,  then we all have a possible

lawsuit against Valve/steam if they do this.

its a form of bait and switch and an annoying one at that.

Now i haven't been reading this entire thread because im just sick and

tired

of hearing people whine about what the latest screw over valve has done to

there customers.  but if you really want to stop valve from fucking up the

game or games you have purchased in the past by adding or changing them in

the future, then take them to court or shut the fuck up.