Would a program such as imagecfg not get around the affinity issue?  I've
used I for quite some time to get my other Valve servers (HL1/2) onto other
cores/processors when they wanted to all stick to the first they found.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Hartland
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:00 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] TF2 server Affinity issue, Memory leak & Performance stats

Affinity Issue
First off so people are aware the current server will only work on the first
core of any multi core machines. I'm assuming this is
due to the server threads having affinity set on them but this obviously
causes major issues on multi CPU / Core machines. I've
dropped Valve a mail about this, so I hope they can make a fix available
quickly.

In the mean time those who are running servers on SMP machines should
significantly reduce the number of servers on their machines
to ensure that the first core is not overloaded and hence seriously
impacting gameplay.

Memory leak
Seems the current server has a bit of a memory leak which can be seen below.

Team Fortress 2 - Performance @ 2.66Ghz Core2

As you can see memory ( the orange line ) is constantly rising as play
continues. This is not the same on a server which doesn't
have players so its either a play based leak or a player join / leave based
leak.

CPU Usage
With respect to performance TF2's current CPU usage is on the high side with
a 24 player TF2 using about the same as a 32 player
ET:QW server so it would be nice to see if some optimisation can be done to
bring this down an so keep the cost down.

Network performance
Network performance is good as usual with 105 player slots peaking @ 5Mbps
so each client using ~ 47Kbps.

Team Fortress 2 - Bandwidth peak = 105 Player slots

    Regards
    Steve

This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the
person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise
disseminating it or any information contained in it.

In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please
telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
[ server_12606_day.png of type image/png deleted ]