GIven I haven't actually seen a post with regard to why valve have
carried this out I'm not going to join in the guessing game ...It
would just be nice to be kept in the picture rather than having to
troubleshoot why your server is no longer appearing in the master
browser list.

with regard to stability the "potentially" bit is just that, we didn't
suffer from any reported crashes from clients connecting to our 32 man
when it was up & we had not one crash server side.. it would gobble
memory & cpu like there is no tommorrow but it never maxed out our
resources.

I agree consistancy in lauching a product is needed but when valve
have no control of the quality of the kit there software is being run
on, then its pointless perhaps they should just lock all the cvars &
have a server benchmark program that will not allow the server to run
unless it meets a minimun score...