This solution is perfectly workable and seems to be much better than
the one you currently use, otherwise that would be me asking Valve to
fix something not working on my servers :)

I thought that you are interested in solution for your particular
problem, not in demanding Valve to fix something or implement some
additional functionality. Sorry, seems like I got you wrong. Please
continue with your quest for Holy Grail :)