Yes this is true,  here is some more info on this subject.

For hlds it's "sys_ticrate" that will give you good hitreg.    I run all my
servers at 500 or more.
Some people say they cant see a difference but I say their crazy.
I play DoD about 4 hours a day and I have tested this out to no end and if
you raise the sys_ticrate to 500 or more then the clients receive more
updates per tic about were everyone else is and what their doing at that tic
in time.  When I play on default 66 tic or even 100 tic DOD 1.3 servers I'm
good but on my own servers I'm unstoppable and get accused of hacks all day
long but that's just because peeps don't understand ticrate/hitreg and how
it can differ from default servers and boosted servers.

What you want for DOD & CS servers is the following.
There is no need for update 101 in either cmdrate or updarerate in order to
have the best hitreg you can get from hlds.

Sv_maxrate 16500
Sv_minrate 100
Sv_maxupdaterate 60
Sv_minupdaterate 20
Sys_ticrate 700

Then go get a plugin called cvar_guard.amxx over at the amxx or DOD_plugins
sight and set all of your connecting clients to these settings,    (this
plugin will work for all hl1mods)

Rate "16000"
Cl_cmdrate 60"
Cl_updaterate "50"
FPS_max "101"
FPS_modem "101"

After having done this go into your server and get your mind blown away by
how instantly you kill players.
With your net_graph 3 turned on, you'll see up to 5 or 6 choke once in a
while but never any loss.

Some good reading here.

LAG and or phantom shots explained.

For instance, if a highly lagged player shoots at a less lagged player and
scores a hit, it can appear to the less lagged player that the lagged player
has somehow "shot around a corner". In this case, the lower lag player may
have darted around a corner. But the lagged player is seeing everything in
the past. To the lagged player, s/he has a direct line of sight to the other
player. The player lines up the crosshairs and presses the fire button. In
the meantime, the low lag player has run around a corner and maybe even
crouched behind a crate. If the high lag player is sufficiently lagged, say
500 milliseconds or so, this scenario is quite possible. Then, when the
lagged player's user command arrives at the server, the hiding player is
transported backward in time and is hit. This is the extreme case, and in
this case, the low ping player says that s/he was shot from around the
corner. However, from the lagged player's point of view, they lined up their
crosshairs on the other player and fired a direct hit. From a game design
point of view, the decision for us was easy: let each individual player have
completely responsive interaction with the world and his or her weapons.

In addition, the inconsistency described above is much less pronounced in
normal combat situations. For first-person shooters, there are two more
typical cases. First, consider two players running straight at each other
pressing the fire button. In this case, it's quite likely that lag
compensation will just move the other player backwards along the same line
as his or her movement. The person being shot will be looking straight at
his attacker and no "bullets bending around corners" feeling will be present

The next example is two players, one aiming at the other while the other
dashes in front perpendicular to the first player. In this case, the paradox
is minimized for a wholly different reason. The player who is dashing across
the line of sight of the shooter probably has (in first-person shooters at
least) a field of view of 90 degrees or less. In essence, the runner can't
see where the other player is aiming. Therefore, getting shot isn't going to
be surprising or feel wrong (you get what you deserve for running around in
the open like a maniac). Of course, if you have a tank game, or a game where
the player can run one direction, and look another, then this scenario is
less clear-cut, since you might see the other player aiming in a slightly
incorrect direction.

Hope this helps you out mate. ;)