Well, I had this issue when I was trying to update TF2 or when I was
creating a new directory with a new TF2 install. It turns out that I wasn't
typing in my update line correctly and I just had to change that. I'm not
exactly sure what I what I was typing incorrectly, but just know the
following is really how you're supposed to update.

hldsupdatetool.exe -command update -game tf (In my case, maybe CS in yours)
-dir C:\MyServers (Will be put in a MyServers directory)

Just be sure to browse to your hldsupdatetool via CD in DoS. I hope this
helped in some way!