I like to call this the pink sock effect.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 11:00 AM
Subject: [hlds] Custom browser tab

Lew,

 Just wanted to post some frustrated thoughts on this new patch change in
how servers appear in the browsers.

 Now those that know me know that I dont moan about changes much, I just
shutup and get on with it or find a means around the problem without making
a fuss.

 I certanly dont wish to make a fuss and I know theres quite a few posts
about this already so I hope this doesnt step on someone's toes, maybe these
issues have already been brought up or people are fedup on the subject
already.

 First issue is the steam browser doesnt have the custom tab, the ingame
browser does. I for one use the steam browser to find a server and join as
opposed to firing up TF2 and looking for a server. I do of course sometimes
fire TF2 up and then go to my favourites but not always, this would suggest
that others also do that.
 Then simply if your server meets the criteria of being a custom server it
doesnt appear in the internet list. Some users may be totally unaware your
server is running and join it unless they are familiar with the other
method.

 Simple solution would be to make sure this doesnt take too long to address
this.

 Second issue I have is with having 2 browser lists. Favourites is a good
idea and people will want to find servers without searching for them, and
the suggestion is a good percentage of some of my server users have kept
their favourites. But not all of them and the drop in player numbers speaks
for itself.

 If people are like me, I like to quickly hit search, scroll a list and
find what I want. I wont want to then think oh hang on I might fancy a
different gametype and then have to go to custom and do another search.

 Some people wont even know that this is where some servers are located.
you are seriously expecting people to understand that sv_alltalk turned on
moves a server from where it normally is to another list!

 It's time involving, gamers are creators of comfort and relies on every
gamer out there knowing and understanding this is what happens.

 Finally I can understand stuff like critical hits and instant respawn
being moved to this list but sv_alltalk and maxplayers?

 You can turn alltalk on during play and your server moves from internet to
custom straight away!!

 Likewise if you do move 25-32 slot servers into custom based on the
official means then surely you should force all large slot servers into this
list to be fair.

 Likewise the same applies to those of us using insta spawn on beetles now
being in a different location to those who use the cvar method! Servers are
not correctly going to be filtered via this means.

 Of course im happy to chane my settings to whatever way works thats not
the issue the point is it splits all servers out of a list.

 My personal solution would be do away with custom, have 1 single list,
like you get in any other game and if people wish to filter they can then
apply the filter to the list thats just refreshed in internet much as you do
when changing the location, ping settings, map etc.
 It just doenst make sense to have filters for some things and then move
other settings into a totally different list.

 Its logical if all filters are applied to one list, just like you can do
say with COD4.

 Sorry for the lenghty rant, not really looking to argue or slag anyone off
or say I dont like it moan moan boo hoo just saying I think there's better
ways of doing this without pissing everyone off!!

 The current method at time off writing this theres 400 servers under
internet, the main browser and 1000 under custom.

 That says a lot, and it says to me that people used to one particular
method of server may totally ignore theo ther lot, when before this change
you could find everything under one simple list and join whatever caught
your fancy!

 Cheers again anyways.

 Like a good boy ill be reviewing the settings ive applied and considering
the options but right now im in two minds where I want my servers listed and
where I think the majority of my players will expect to find them!!

 Hopefully the users will work this out for themselves but its obviously
causing confusion to quite a lot.

 John

 PS Fingers crossed people will so this wont be an issue at all..