Eric,
    Get a copy of pingplotter (www.pingplotter.com) and run it on your
server to a clean destination (perhaps your client machine) and let it run
for a few days or a few weeks.

See if there is any network outage that is in sync with your lag spikes -
you may have to use a 10 second or faster rate to get enough samples but
start with 10.

Put pingplotter on your client machine as well and ping your game server so
you can see if there is a related in-coming outage.

Pingplotter is low overhead and should run on both client and server boxes
with no visible impact to you or to players.

The client side behavior after a lag spike that you describe is "typical"
for a client with a bad update and requires a reconnect for the client or
I've seen starting a demo and stopping it to also fix this sort of problem -
alt tabbing to the desktop and back might also fix this (I didn't find this
as reliable a fix as starting a demo).

If you do see a network outage, let pingplotter run long enough to see if
there is some internal or external event that is related.

For example, I've occasionally see lag spikes in servers on the same server
box being caused by my CSS server changing maps, especially with some
high-demand maps like militia with a lot of bots.

One thing you did not mention in your email was if you are running a
high-res timer or not (I'm assuming this is a Win32 server since you are
posting on the Win32 server email list).

It would help to know what cpu you're using, your network connection and how
many servers you have on that box, also if you are running IIS or any other
web apps on that server box.

qUiCkSiLvEr