@Neph: FYI I run 15 CSS servers for a couple of communities (of various
types - Gungame 5, Deathmatch, vanilla and one glassfun 24/7 [that one is
HELL to manage believe me :P]) and 2 TF2 servers (a normal and a custom map
one) all of which are fairly busy to full.

The custom tab barely affected the TF2 ones for me.. However I do see how
those that valve see as custom will be affected by the bump to the custom
tab AND that some of the stuff that your "de-listed" for is a bit silly.
That said I do agree with their stance of 32 player servers being custom
(can-o-worms opened :P).

I dont see CSS being affected either. Deathmatch and Gungame are the ones
that are likely to be "de-listed" in this case, (although as pointed out I
dont see how they could tell yet..) - these cater for a specific need anyway
and all GG/DM servers will be located in the custom tab - so no problem! Of
course if they mark "friendly fire" as custom that could be another matter
;)

@Roman: I'd concur with those ideas (I have just said I LIKE the custom tab,
and I do, but this is a much more elegant solution with the same effect).

Regarding #2. I think that certain things should force the server to be
custom. So for example having a plugin loaded, or - in the case of TF2 -
having 32 players.

Then allow server admins to tag their servers (perhaps with some pre-decided
default tags (gungame, deathmatch, custom maps etc..) as well as custom
ones) with the option to mark it as "custom" for the browsing. (there ya go
Neph.. you asked me to post ideas...)

It seems the me that the only real problem people have with the custom tab
at the moment is it's lack of "visibility".

Tom