I did some additional testing and was able to confirm that each player
requires (worst-case) just a bit over 10K Bytes/sec from the server.

This means that 4 players will demand 40K Bytes per second from the server
which is a slight overload on my DSL line.

10 full servers, worst-case 40 players would therefore use 40 * 10K Bytes =
400K Bytes/sec or ~3.28 MBits of actual network usage, assuming a zombie
rush on all 10 servers at the same time (might happen!).

It turns out however that the real problem is that when my DSL line hits the
uplink max, the dsl modem chokes and this is what was causing the massive
lag that players were reporting.

To verify this, I ran pingplotter and then ran the L4D server and tracked
how many players were on and the network usage.

2 players were fine.
4 players was bad
3 players were ok to marginal( I suspect the server query overhead can push
this over the limit).

I captured a very good graph of what is happening (annotated) here:
http://qsextreme.com/L4D/l4d_bandwidth_test.PNG

Checking my DSL line on http://DSLReports.com/tools confirms my performance
numbers:

http://www.dslreports.com/im/60743484/26519.png

Speed Test #60743484 by dslreports.com
Run: 2008-11-08 18:14:15 EST
Download: 1297 (Kbps)
Upload: 322 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 158.4 down 39.3 up

One thing I did that slightly improved my dsl performance was adjust the MTU
for my line, I wrote a little discovery tool that lets you see exactly what
is going on there:

http://qsextreme.com/mtutest

It's disappointing that the DSL line chokes like that but from past
experience with Covad there is nothing I can do short of moving to a new
apartment.