I'm preparing for a LAN party today at 2pm, and I have a dedicated LAN server
set up that's working fine.  I see that the LAN server appears in the lower
left of the main menu under the "Friends Playing" header.  I can join the LAN
server okay by clicking on it and selecting "Join Game".  However, it appears
that I can't join my LAN server from a lobby.

So this is what I understand:
1. players can join a LAN server directly by clicking the server and selecting
"join game" (or by using the "connect" command in the console).  They will take
the place of one the random AI bot survivors, and be dropped in mid-game if a
campaign is already in progress.
2. players can join a server via the lobby feature where they have an
additional option or two (ie players can select what character they wish to
play as), but they have no control over which server they are connected to when
they elect to launch the game.

My questions:A. is my understanding of the two options above correct?  Am I
missing anything?  Is it possible in some way to join a LAN server via a game
lobby?
B. if it is not possible to join a LAN server via a lobby, is there some way to
switch which character you play as when joining manually (either via the
console or via the "join game" button that when you have a listed server
selected)?

In a nutshell I'd like my friends to be able to pick which character they play
as during my L4D release LAN party today, and I'm not sure how to do this in a
LAN game.  Thanks.