-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of SakeFox
Sent: Friday, 5 December 2008 1:31 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Left 4 Dead Update Available

about the second part of your email about the don't like it leave, well
this is a little different for L4D. When you create a server especially
for versus you don't have a choice what server you goto. it just
randomly finds one and sends you on your way. If the mods get as bad as
they are with TF2 where they try to bypass every kind of detection and
tags and what not, you could spend all day connecting and disconnecting
to servers to find a default server.

now i'm sure that this will bring up the old discussion on server stuff
for that, but this is not what this topic is about.

msleeper wrote:
> Clan and competitive players are not the only ones who want communities.
> Go tell that to TheVille or my home F7Lans. Some people just want to
> have their own servers on to play with their friends, and THAT is the
> point of hosting a server.
>
> What is so hard to accept about the "If you are on a modded server and
> don't like it, leave" concept? It's simple and it makes everyone happy.
> You get your stale gameplay and the rest of us get more fun out of the
> product.
>
> And need I remind you that running a L4D server, or any Valve product,
> is free? They don't charge you for the content. Okay sure you may pay
> for a physical server, but it's your prerogative to put L4D on there.
> Nobody is forcing you to run this game you hate - And if you hate it and
> are going to ragequit running a L4D server, seriously why are you still
> here.
>
> The 5% you drone on about is the part where Valve bends over backwards
> for -you-, since you aren't a "dirty" modder. If you want to play L4D
> (the game you hate, wut?) on a "pure" server, like DWN said, Valve runs
> a ton of their own, glistening pure servers. Play there.
>
> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 23:03 -0500, Karl Weckstrom wrote:
>
>> I agree that the game should be played the way it was designed. TF2 is a
difficult game these days. It was designed to be a 24 player game with a
respawn timer, but has been convoluted into, well, a load of mud. I honestly
wish Valve would have taken a heavier-handed approach. I can't tell you how
many players i see on our servers complaining that "the respawn time is too
long" because I haven't altered it from the default. To the average player,
all of those convoluted servers with altered respawn timers are "the norm".
My server that conforms to Valve's own limits is the one that looks strange
to them.

>> I'm all for the modding community - they should be able to do what they
want. But I believe a "pure" server should be exactly as Valve intended it
to be. No mods, no plugins, no bull. No changes to gameplay, player limits
or what not. Valve caves too quickly to the player/server admin, and in the
process they lose the vision that made them the leader in this space to
begin with. While I still think L4D is a crap product from a server point of
view, all their other work has been groundbreaking from a gameplay
perspective. For that they should be commended.

>> But a lot of what Valve does is the same of what I see with the more
junior people that work on my team (at work, not on my gameservers). They do
a terrific job for 95% of the job. But when it comes to the last 5%, they
fall flat on their face - And THAT'S the stuff that people remember. 95% of
the work is getting all the pieces in place and put together. The last 5% is
the "polish" that everyone sees. Documentation, Support Models, QA, UAT
(User Acceptance Testing), and the like.

>> Valve needs to work on that 5%. They should start by sticking to their
own vision instead of trying to make every person who wants no respawn times
happy.

>> Personally I think L4D would have been a great product all around if they
did one thing - Left the "community/server operators" out of it. Valve is
capable of hosting as many servers as they need for this product, and since
the very nature of the game is not incredibly "community friendly", I see no
reason to include communities as their target audience. Mindless zombie
killing isn't my kind of game, nor do I see how this game will ever be
adaptable to any sort of community play. It's not a competitive game by its
own nature, and it's those kinds of games that foster community play - not
this l4d stuff.

>> Seriously, do any of you guys see the need to start a Left 4 Dead clan? I
certainly don't.

>> Anyway, that's my thoughts, like 'em or not.
>>
>> i don't like stopping for red lights. there a complete waste of our
>> time. This is something that is forced upon us and it shouldn't be. We
>> should have the right to chose what is restricted to us. Who's with me?
>> lets all just start ignoring them and complain that they should be
>> removed for existence. BAWWWWW!!!!
>>
>> Formologic23 wrote:
>>
>>> No dude, it's not, grow up. I love Valve games, and almost play them
>>> exclusively. I was stating as to why I didn't want to support THIS
>>> PARTICULAR GAME. I didn't say that I wasn't going to play it. You should
>>> learn to read instead of taking the English language out of context. I
pay
>>> for servers that I continue to not be able to control. So therefore, I'm
not
>>> going to support this particular game by PAYING for servers. Never said
>>> would stop playing the game, or I hate Valve.
>>>
>>> Once again, grow up dude.

LOCK