I just did it through HLSW and I can see the max players is 8, but the
server is empty though so I'm not sure if that has any effect. I have
this trouble when I do it through rcon though while I am in-game, trying
to invite friends into a private server.

I have posted my server.cfg before if you think it is really relevant,
but there is nothing related to player count or anything like that.