I don't play on 32 player servers because, generally, lag and performance takes
a nose dive after 24.
If this is much more of a problem now, then it is probably crippling 32 player
servers.

I think the gameplay simply sucks beyond 24 players, but since Valve officially
supports 32 players, then they sure as hell should be supporting the servers
with 32 slots.
I'm willing to bet it was just a huge oversight (Valve not testing on 32 player
servers at all) from the last patch, and the fix will come soon.