I'm reasonably new to the email list having only been a member for less then
a month but the reason why I'm a member of the list is because it at least
takes *some* working knowledge of how lists work (no matter how simple) for
people to interact on it. Forums are always riddled with kids and idiots.

We need some place for the dedicated admins to talk, and this is it. Unless
the Steam forums is going to make a board specific to 'dedicated admins'
with permissions on who and who can't access it this email list is the
easiest way. I doubt Steam would go through all the hassle of configuring
permissions, then having to deal with the whiny snots running a server on
their parents cable internet connection calling themselves an admin and
being able to access said board as well.

There is just no replacement for an email list that by it's very nature,
filters out the annoyances.

-Matt