Actually, it seems the change from STEAM_0 to STEAM_1 is more or less
meaningless. The CBaseClient::GetNetworkID() function is hardcoded to place
a 1 there.
text:0009E8F0                 public CBaseClient::GetNetworkID() const
text:0009E8F0                 mov     edx, [esp+8]
text:0009E8F4                 mov     eax, [esp+4]
text:0009E8F8                 mov     edx, [edx+59h]
text:0009E8FB                 mov     dword ptr [eax], 1
text:0009E901                 mov     word ptr [eax+4], 1
text:0009E907                 mov     ecx, edx
text:0009E909                 and     ecx, 1
text:0009E90C                 shr     edx, 1
text:0009E90E                 mov     [eax+0Ch], ecx
text:0009E911                 mov     [eax+8], edx
text:0009E914                 retn    4

For example, changing:
text:0009E901                 mov     word ptr [eax+4], 1
text:0009E901                 mov     word ptr [eax+4], 0

Will give old STEAM_0 numbers back. The function returns a proprietary
USERID_t structure and two of the bytes are the '1'. If someone really wants
their STEAM_0 back, open server.dll, go to B1095 and change 0x01 to 0x00.
Likewise, for Linux, go to 9E90E and change 0x01 to 0x00.