I concur w/ TheNob on this from our experience.  I will note one difference
though.

We have had randoms in our L4D servers (with search key in place).  Only way
they entered the server was via the OpenServerBrowser command from the
Console.  They were not in our Steam Group either.  I have confirmed that
action myself.

[FLASH] MjrNuT
Arise from Flames and Ash, Behold Immortality

www.flamesandash.com

Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:09:45 +0100
> From: TheNob HLDS <h...@thenob.de>
> Subject: Re: [hlds] L4D Client Update
>        <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
>
> Yes it does restrict! sv_search_key must be ("") empty to be accessable for
> matchmaking.
>

> 2009/3/16 Alec Sanger <eclyp...@hotmail.com>
>

> > Sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, but does sv_search_key actually
> > restrict cleints from connecting who don't have the proper sv_search_key
> on
> > their end? All of my servers have been dead since friday. I removed
> > sv_search_key, rebooted the server, and it's been full for the last 2
> hours.
> > I was always under the assumption that sv_search_key didn't restrict
> > pubbers.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Alec Sanger
> > www.stompfest.com
> >

> > > Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 00:42:40 -0500
> > > From: inflatablesoulm...@brothersofchaos.com
> > > To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
> > > Subject: Re: [hlds] L4D Client Update
> > >
> > > Actually, you just sparked in my mind another reason that the lobby
> > > server browser would be a good idea.  Private L4D servers that are
> > > passworded.  Right now, I'm not really sure how you can even connect to
> > > a L4D server that has sv_password set.  If you had the server browser
> > > working like it does in TF2, when you double-click on the server, it
> > > pops up a dialog box to type the password in.  So, when the lobby
> leader
> > > chooses the private server to connect to, do the same thing.  Not only
> > > would this guarantee that your server is available, but it would also
> be
> > > welcomed by GSPs and players alike, because the GSPs would be able to
> > > sell private L4D servers, and the players would have a less-costly
> > > alternative to a public server (generally GSPs sell private servers at
> > > discount because the private servers aren't full eating bandwidth and
> > > CPU resources all the time).  Also, only the lobby leader should need
> > > know the password, because they are the one picking the server to play
> > on.

> > and
> > lets
> system

My 2 cents also Matt, with one exception.  We use Teamspeak as you're able
to talk to ppl in different channels. ;)

I changed our previous public L4D to a private one now.  It saw no traffic
since the update.  Course, I may not have the correct server.cfg now, i.e.,
remove all setmaster lines?

It's not an issue for us.  I'm glad Valve has decided to support with their
own servers with this type of game.  Some of the modded L4D servers out
there are just not my cup o tea.  I'm actually mixed about wither L4D should
be modded, but that's just me, not putting it on anyone.  One annoyance I do
have is that I've been on L4D server that constantly, constantly runs adds
of: Join our Community, join our steam group, join our blah balh, etc.
These adds are in all kinds of colors to really get your attention _and_ are
right near or overlap the vanilla game messages.  Just so much spam in my
opinion.  It was quite annoying and actually took attention away from
playing.  This was my own personal annoyance of mine and I'm sure many
players are able to ignore them, but I just started our own servers.  I
don't need to name the Community.  Point is, I think it's good that Valve
has own set of servers, and the Communities out there may still have their
_intended_ public servers still used.

Matt, I would add that instead of looking at HLSW, just do OpenServerBrowser
from Console, find your server and you'll be able to see if it is occupied.
Unless you have HLSW on a 2nd PC or your CTRL+ESC command works dandy to
minimize apps.  Seems L4D handles that very well actually.

I agree it's a bit of a chore educating the members about the search_key.
Pictures do resounding things though.

[FLASH] MjrNuT
Arise from Flames and Ash, Behold Immortality

www.flamesandash.com

Message: 2