From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Cc2iscooL
Sent: dinsdag 26 mei 2009 11:04
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds] Anyone use Sigma servers

>NFO does not even make a profit, so overcharging doesn't come into play
>here.
If they're not making a profit, then how do they afford to pay for
anything
new or afford to do anything? That doesn't make any sense.

>We were talking about L4D. L4D is limited to 30fps and that is the most
that
>anyone can offer.

>If you want to talk about Orangebox/Source/GoldSrc games, then we can
do
>that too, although you and I already did in a prior exchange. In the
case
of
>those engines, there are plenty of providers that offer 1000fps servers
and
>it's mainly a case of supply and demand. Professional teams swear by
>high-tickrate/high-FPS servers, so it's not entirely hype.

Mostly a placebo, but you can justify it either way. Hype, placebo, same
thing. There's a point where more FPS actually doesn't change anything.
I've
still yet to see any proven tests that state that players get better
registration or anything on a 2000 FPS server versus a 200 FPS server.
Let's
do some science! I'm willing to be proved wrong, but there's nothing in
my
personal experience that I've *ever* noticed that changes anything as
long
as the server's FPS is at least tickrate or better. Obviously overhead
is
always good, but I still have to say I've never noticed the difference
between 2000 FPS and 200 in all my time playing Source games. It usually
just ends up being the "well my fps is better than yours" which is the
usual
ego fight. I'd like to see an actual report on where extra FPS becomes
useless, as it would definitely enlighten me.

>I don't want to compare to specific providers, but NFO uses some of the
most
>expensive bandwidth out there and has a very strong focus on
performance
and
>service. These factors have costs associated with them. Other providers
that
>use different bandwidth, load machines differently, and have different
>service levels will have different prices as a result. Some providers
may
>over- or under-charge for the service, but as I mentioned before,
>Nuclearfallout does not make a profit.

Again, if they don't make a profit, how do they stay in business? If you
break even you lose money. If the owner is spending 40 hours a week
maintaining servers and expanding and they're breaking even it means
he's
not making any money for himself. Doesn't make sense. I realize
bandwidth is
expensive, and if you're right on the backbone it's more expensive, but
if
you're not making money then you're wasting time. I don't think NFO has
been
breaking even for years, otherwise they'd have shut down long ago.

>I'm not arguing that the high-end hosts are right for everyone, but
they
are
>not as overpriced as you have indicated. There is oftentimes quite a
bit of
>value found in buying a slightly more expensive service.

I understand the meaning "you get what you pay for." Unfortunately it
doesn't always apply. It would be nice if paying more always gave you
better, but you and I both know that's not true. If it were, LayeredTech
would be the best dedicated server company ever. :)

>Naturally you can save quite a bit of money by renting a dedicated
server.
>(although I'm not sure what type of server you're talking about here).
Many
>hosts, including NFO, offer these side by side with game servers and
they
>are typically a good value, but only if you have the time to set
everything
>up yourself, don't need the extra freebies and support that a game
server
>would offer, have the extra money and need for multiple servers, and
don't
>need quite as good of performance.

Don't need quite as good performance? You must be joking. There are
standards for everything these days when it comes to players. I do agree
that the services they offer are nice, but they certainly aren't unique
NFO. They also charge a lot more for the extras than other providers.

>I think you have learned, and know now, a lot more than you realize.
That
>reflects well upon you. The better GSPs will have your level of
knowledge
>and more, and they will have already applied it to their machine
>configurations, fully automatic systems, and so on. That also means
>customers can talk to live support staffmembers who know what they're
doing
>and are willing to quickly walk them through all sorts of issues that
crop
>up.

Of course.

>There's a lot to be said for starting off with a well-established,
>quality-oriented host that has a good reputation -- then potentially
going
>from there to a dedicated server or a lower-end host. And there's no
harm
in
>taking advantage of the free trials that many GSPs offer, to see if the
>performance is all it's cracked up to be.

The only problem with their "free trials" is that unless your group is
already fully established, it'll be hard to get a full load of people in
there to actually test the durability of the server. There are different
expectation levels for different payments as well, with NFO you'd expect
get a server that runs 100% all the time, whereas a host at $1 a slot
you'd
expect to have some issues. The problem is, you don't always get what
you
pay for, and you won't always be able to test these hosts fully...how
many
new IP's are you willing to subject your community to? In my experience,
even with weeks of advance notice and advertising on the MOTD and
in-game,
you still lose people switching IP addresses, so once you're hooked up
with
a specific provider it's hard to move away (seeing as Valve doesn't ever
want to support dynamic IP addresses...grr) without losing members. Not
mention the more times you switch providers and IP's the less competent
you
seem to your userbase.

To be honest, the only reputation I've ever heard NFO of having was an
expensive one. Virtually every server I've seen on NFO doesn't last more
than a few months due to cost, but I've heard complaints about service
in
the past. Probably goes hand-in-hand with the cost factor. People who
pay
that much expect that their servers not have any problem whatsoever, and
it's not the truth. Networks will get hit, routers get clogged (cough
Level3), servers crash, hardware dies, datacenters blow up...etc. All in
all
it's still personal preference, but paying a ton extra a slot for
minimal
extras still isn't worth it. If you have money on your side though, feel
free.

--
Cc2iscooL
Head Admin/Owner

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:08 AM, John
<lists.va...@nuclearfallout.net>wrote:

> [...]
hard to
> > run yourself. I taught myself how to do it with a bit of google
searching
> > and toiling. That was over three years ago, I'm still learning,
>
> I think you have learned, and know now, a lot more than you realize.
That
> reflects well upon you. The better GSPs will have your level of
knowledge
> and more, and they will have already applied it to their machine
> configurations, fully automatic systems, and so on. That also means
> customers can talk to live support staffmembers who know what they're
doing
> and are willing to quickly walk them through all sorts of issues that
crop
> up.
>
> > I don't mean to make this a fight, but seriously, it's overrated.
Some
> > things you do have to learn first-hand though. :)
>
> There's a lot to be said for starting off with a well-established,
> quality-oriented host that has a good reputation -- then potentially
going
> from there to a dedicated server or a lower-end host. And there's no
harm
> in
> taking advantage of the free trials that many GSPs offer, to see if
the
> performance is all it's cracked up to be.
>
> -John

05/25/09 18:14:00