I'm on windows (win2k3x64) with forked (multiple) servers and am seeing the
same thing. Sometimes it happenes after people leave like FPSB | Goerge
mentioned. Other times I'll check the console and see the example below and at
this point all of our servers won't show in the clients steam group and start
rejecting connection attempts.

[SERVER] Left4Dead Server Config Loading
Queuing heartbeat send to steam master server updater.
Queuing heartbeat send to steam master server updater.
Queuing heartbeat send to steam master server updater.
Queuing heartbeat send to steam master server updater.
Queuing heartbeat send to steam master server updater.
Writing cfg/banned_user.cfg.
Writing cfg/banned_ip.cfg.
Adding master server 69.28.140.246:27011
Adding master server 69.28.140.247:27011
Connection to Steam servers successful.
   VAC secure mode is activated.
Connection to Steam servers lost.
   VAC secure mode is activated.
Connection to Steam servers lost.
   VAC secure mode is activated.

An example of a rejection request:

RejectConnection: 213.239.209.221:54130 - This server is using a newer protocol
(1014) than your client (7).

Now we've tested this and my admins with current game files can't connect to
our up-to-date game servers.