http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

In general, updates come out in the afternoon (Valve is on the west coast,
USA)
In practice, they come out when they update is finished.  Valve are masters
of last-minute-ism, and most things are delayed

You can view this as a cute peccadillo and a sign that valve is still a dev
shop at heart, or you be more annoyed about it.  Personally, my attitude
varies depending on how late I have to stay up to update everything (see
Halloween for more details)