Update on this -

I got a response from cet.com claiming that the owner of the
thaiguy.net/st3gaming server had given shell access to a friend who
had then abused the privilege by running a flood script. This seems
like a rather fishy explanation to me, given that i've found logs of
'thaiguy' playing in the DoS'd server, but I'll leave it at that for
now.

> dumb question, but how can you (read I) tell if a DOS attack is happening
> and how do you obtain their IP. Thanks

The server was lagging horribly (nearly unplayable), on a server that
is usually near perfect. The lag abbruptly stopped minutes later, then
a few more ~5-10 minute lag episodes occured. Finding no other issues,
and no other affected servers, i suspected an attack (like the old
query packet spam) and setup tcpdump (e.g. tcpdump -w dumpfile -i
eth1). Next time it happened I took a look at the packet dump (as in,
compress it, download it, open it in wireshark) and found that 80% of
all traffic was 300byte packets from one ip.

- Neph