Define "lag"?

I used to run a 20 slot tf2 server, 4 l4d servers, and a counter-strike
source server under ESX, and I currently run 2 CS Source servers under
ESXi on wildly different hardware.

My "powerful" server, which is ran from work, is a dual quad core 2.0
GHz E5405 Xeon box (Dell PowerEdge 2950 actually). In that lone VM, it
runs a 24 player server with 20 bots active on round start, and I get no
lag, other then what the connection provides. When it was just 20 humans
running we still had no lag. BUT - that was a single VM on a box that
runs maybe 10 other low cpu usage virtual machines (Active Directory,
Exchange, Sharepoint 2007, Symantec AV management server, real time
backup, and some other random stuff).

My ESXi box at home is a home brewed box (Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe, 8GB
ram, AMD x2 5200 CPU). The same Counter-Strike setup (24 players, 20
bots) lags like a mofo until you start killing or kicking bots. It run
on my home connection, so there's never more then 3 humans playing on it
via our LAN.

My point being, if you run server grade hardware, you shouldn't get any
lag, anything else, YMMV.

I've been very pleased with SRCDS performance under the various ESX/ESXi
environments I've had the opportunity to play with.

I didn't do anything special either. I literally installed ESXi, fired
up a CentOS 5.x VM, installed srcds, and off I went. No kernel tweaks,
NOTHING. I ran 3 L4D servers open to the public for awhile, no problems
there, under both a Windows Server 2003 VM and the aforementioned CentOS
5 VM.

Try get in contact with Karl Weckstrom (k...@weckstrom.com if I remember
correctly) , he has a ton of experience in running srcds servers under
ESXi, he was very helpful and answered a ton of my questions. I haven't
seen him responding on this list os of late, so I don't know if he's
still active or not, but in any case, that knowledge isn't something
that's going to go away anytime soon, so I highly recommend contacting
him.

Here's a small archive of our previous conversation on this subject:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hlds@list.valvesoftware.com/msg33278.html

--mauirixxx