Further to what Andy said, make sure the server which is having issues has
no players in it either by rebooting it or by putting a password on it. This
is to limit the amount of legitimate traffic going through it. Once the
server is empty, run the following command:

tcpdump -A 'dst host 123.123.123.123 and dst port 27015'

Where 123.123.123.123 is obviously the IP of your server and 27015 is the
port.

If it is being DOS'd it is typical to see lots of packets coming in from the
same IP over and over again with the same content. You will also see packets
coming in from various legitimate game server queries but the DOS packets
are generally fairly easy to spot.

On Windows you can do something similar using WinDump with the same command
syntax as tcpdump:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.wiretapped.net/pub/security/packet-ca
pture/winpcap/windump/

--