had this problem a few weeks ago on tf2, it literally drove me crazy. It
either didn't show anything, or didn't understand it had to render HTML and
showed it as plain text.
Things that can go wrong with motd are:
-motdfile convar pointing to a non existent file
-motd file size greater that 1.4 KB (not sure about the exact limit, but
should be something like this. You can always use meta refresh to redirect
to a bigger page on a web server: example http://pastebin.com/C7G4yGz3 )
-wrong encoding
remember that motd is read at change map