] rcon tf_birthday
 "tf_birthday" = "0"
  game notify replicated

Ok, it's set at 0, the default. I have no party-mode plugins installed.
So why are all the gibs on my server being turned into balloons and
unicycles?! No one is wearing a birthday-hat like the wiki page says
they should be.

Client-side, I have:
] tf_birthday
"tf_birthday" = "0"
 game notify replicated

So why is everyone turning into balloons and it's playing stupid party
noises? It's happening to me on every server, even servers without any
mods installed.

I am cross-posting this to both hlds and hlds_linux lists (even though I
know you dislike this), as it happens on both Linux and Windows servers.

If anyone else has this problem or knows a fix, please reply. Thanks.