I also suspected it but after reading John's email, i doubt it.

-ics

14.12.2010 11:06, DarthNinja kirjoitti:
Killing Floor might just be part of the Treasure event you know... ;)

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:48 AM, ics<i...@ics-base.net>  wrote:

I'm not in any of the marketing department of any
firm/company/developer/etc but as a server admin and as the odd man out, i
know from experience, reading related announcements from Valve and looking
how games shift in the Steam top sold games and looking our servers that
even a slight sale will rapidly increase how the game sells. Note that i
don't even have access to the detailed data like developers do and Valve
too.

The "jungle drums" have been talking about these items and many TF2 players
of ours have stated that if KF goes sale, they'll get it just because of the
items. TF2 got a lot of sales among updates and at those times, we have
always seen several new players on the servers that have gotten the game to
try out just because it was on sale and friends&  newssites have been
talking about it (thus the jungle drum). However, even at those times, the
"Peak Today" stats on Steam, which are public, never reach more than 2-3
times more players than usually even though TF2 has sold millions among
OrangeBox. Some of the owners will never get back on the game because they
have lost interest completely. We'll see how KF manages to lure back players
in with the event.

You are correct that new updates bring out old players too to try out the
new stuff and servers are most likely packed but only for some time. I'm
also sure that some TF2 owners will get the game just due to items but also
many others are thinking about it who expect it to go on sale and if it
does, they get it too.

-ics