Here's the link to the "really legal beautiful HL1 100% Steam servers"..
-> http://storefront.steampowered.com/download/hldsupdatetool.exe
Run those (without evil non-Steam plugins :D) and if the error still occurs,
you can probably expect a little more support..
Even though it's true that the most-played European TFC server is a
non-Steam server (aimaster)..
--orangensaft