On the csgo_servers mailing list there was a brief discussion about this. Someone from Valve said that they are considering (but not really doing it i think) adding option for an anonymous account for updating the server. I also remember the old way of required server account to update and i would really like to have an anonymous account (or create one for servers) if (and when) SteamCMD will become mandatory.

-ics