We made some changes in today's update to make MvM player counts in the server
browser make as much sense as possible within the current framework.

Here's how it works:

Bots should do not show at all in any client-visible way.  (Although, they
still show in the "status" output.)

sv_maxvisibleplayers is slammed to 6 + {number of spectators}.

In this scheme, your server appears to have space if a player can join and play
on the defending team, it appears to be full if this is not the case.  The
existing server browser framework does not make it straightforward to clients
connected as spectator from the player count.  This logic was the best
compromise.

One final note: We discovered a small problem with today's update.  If you have
replay enabled, the above logic will think replay is a "spectator" and your
server will show 7 max players.  We'll fix this in an upcoming update.

- Fletch