As I said, via the Groups you don't have to add one to your friends.

Done
 often enough: need to talk to somebody, I look at their membership
groups, and find a small group with less then 150 members that is
public, and join that temporarily and then via that group I can
communicate with that person. Takes like 10 sec extra. The person you open chat
to, gets a popup notifier that you request a chat, with Ok/decline.

The one big thing I would like to see improved is the warning with links shared
via steam chat... instead of 1 generic one that is 1x click and gone forever.
I'd like one that links per site to get "allowed" and that the setting is
somewhere findable. (Now: once you clicked to allow links, you never get that
dialog box back). And that the allowed list can be managed by throwing out
untrusted, and even a "block" option, which gets send back to valve, to per
default block it everywhere.

This would be stopping a bit of the phishing and bad sites.