Hmm, I can think of several:
- Slot protection for x time (not getting kicked for making space for paying
slots)
- "count" system, where after X views the user gets a slot for x days.
- access to things like "rocketme" commands, while it doesn't do good (or bad)
for a game, it gives fun.

Etc, there are plenty of things one can think of that is non-intrusive on the
game, but can give added value to a player. Benefits:
- Ads will be perceived in a better light, instead they would look at those as
a addition, instead of a intrusion.
- people not wanting it can leave out.
- it builds towards the community.

And btw: the advert plugin config allows to push out the MOTD again after 20
minutes...  so mid-game you can get them pushed in your face again while you
are in a fight.

To be honest, I would like to propose that the client does NOT report to the
server anymore that the MOTD was closed. Don't see any purpose in that anyways.
I'm not against opening the MOTD for other reasons (people using backpack
viewer, and other plugins to show specific content in-game after user
initializing it via chat commands etc.). Tho pushing it out at random while
in-game is a bigger "NO".

>Sent: Tuesday, 5 February 2013, 23:11
>Subject: Re: [hlds] Alias & Existing Commands
>

>Funny story: you actually catch more flies with vinegar.
>
>Any 'reward' system I can think of would result in a lopsided/broken game.
>However, I also think that trying to punish people is kind of a terrible idea.
>I don't think there's really a solution for this.
>

>-James
>

>On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Mart-Jan Reeuwijk <mreeu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>And I don't believe that a server should demand that ppl have the MOTD
enabled, while this is a directly accessible feature to set under the
options in-game.

>>Too many advert providers nowadays are the real
threat to browsers. To demand to have adverts directed to "unsecure"
browsers which cannot be protected by plugins like NoScript is insane.

>>Also,
 the abuse of such by server owners, and their willingness to do so,
makes it a requirement to be able to guard oneself against such.

>>Having
 a plugin that kicks ppl that haven't viewed the MOTD by someone that
has it disabled (which can be for various reasons: crashing, no annoying
 screens, etc) is therefore not some I would support. Which is what the
blocking of the MOTD closed command is about.

>>While
 I appreciate that Valve has solved some problems
 with the MOTD not showing, I didn't notice a "fix" against crashing the
 client from those. But as I didn't follow all updates regarding that, I
 might have missed some. I disabled the MOTD back in 2008, for it
crashed my client on various servers. I never saw a valid reason to
enable it again.

>>Maybe you should make a plugin that "rewards"
ppl that actually watch that MOTD instead of punishing the ones that
block it. Altho with above security issues, that is a risk ppl should
take themselves. The reward can be simply checked with a number shown in
 MOTD corner, and ask for it in the plugin on the server for example.

>>You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

>>>Sent: Tuesday, 5 February 2013, 20:40
>>>Subject: Re: [hlds] Alias & Existing Commands
>>>

>>>Exploits that allow servers to execute arbitrary client commands (not those
>>>specifically tagged as server can execute) have been fixed. There's no need
>>>to block commands.
>>>
>>>I personally believe that blocking servers from receiving the MOTD closed
>>>notification should not be possible, which is what many people are doing
>>>with the alias command.
>>>
>>>Dr. McKay
>>>http://www.doctormckay.com

 etc.