With all the things I keep reading about to do with Steampipe servers, e.g.
CPU spikes, RAM usage (here), and another MvM server not receiving the same
amount of matchmaker traffic compared to hldsupdatetool server version, I'm
sticking to the hldsupdatetool server version until an update forces me to
change to Steampipe. I'm sure whatever the problem is will be resolved
eventually, just difficult to locate I guess.