Well, getting a little closer .... according to Steam Support Twitter account,
they finished the Steam maintenance at 5:00 PM (Pacific).  My Asia/Pacific
region servers won't update yet, but North America seems like it's trying to at
least.

Asia/Pacific server is throwing a time-out.

I'll assume this is all load-related (now that Steam is back up again,
everybody trying to update) and just keep trying.

something-other-than-root@host2:~/steamcmd$ ./steamcmd.sh
./steamcmd.sh: line 11: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not
permitted
Redirecting stderr to '/home/something-other-than-root/Steam/logs/stderr.txt'
[  0%] Checking for available updates...
[----] Verifying installation...
Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
-- type 'quit' to exit --

Steam>login anonymous

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Failed to receive license info.
Success.

Steam>force_install_dir /home/something-other-than-root/game301

Steam>app_update 232250 validate
ERROR! AppInfo request for AppId 232250 returned error 16.

Steam>app_update 232250 validate
ERROR! AppInfo request for AppId 232250 returned error 16.

Steam>app_update 232250
ERROR! Timed out waiting for AppInfo update.