In my opinion, Jason nailed this.  Organically growing your community is
the best (and in my opinion) most honest way to pay your bills.  Put out a
truly excellent product and people will support it with their money.  See
FirePowered gaming for a good example of an organically grown community.

I think Valve is saying by this update that they agree; Quickplay is not to
be used to farm ad-impressions.  If they have a great product the
ad-impressions will come from returning regulars who have added your
servers to their favorites.  Finding a loophole and exploiting just puts
yourself at risk, just like people who purchased hundreds of idle
accounts.

I think this decision was excellent and I'd like to see Valve more
vigorously enforce the policy of truth going forward.