Does that (fake clients) even work anymore anyway?

Regardless, we've always preferred to just reward our players for seeding
low-population servers to help get them going every day - not as effective
as it used to be, but it still encourages people to help get the servers
going.

Having said that, I'm sure that Valve has received their fair share of
false reports even from that, since we've had people accuse us in the past
of trying to use fake players because we don't kick specs/AFK's until the
servers reach at least 50% capacity (every body helps fill the servers
these days).

Of course, I don't think it matters much either way, since only a trickle
of quickplay traffic ever goes to community servers anyway, and the only
people who try the "black hat" stuff (i.e. fake clients, etc.) are the ones
who plaster their servers with Pinion ads.