From: dpar...@utica.edu
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:02:54 -0500
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
CC: hlds_li...@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds] Need Help with "Traffic from IP was blocked for exceeding
rate limits" Messages

That's exactly what the president of NFO said it was: a reflection attack.  He
said someone was firing a huge amount of queries at game servers using the
spoofed NFO IP as the source, and the server which really had that IP address
was receiving all of the query responses, even though it never sent the
requests.  Unfortunately for the customer with that IP, it had practically
crippled the server at that point.
    - Dave