Command r_drawdetailprops 0 turns off the detail sprites. There is also a command cl_fastdetailsprites that toggles to use new detail sprite system or not, but its cheat protected. The turn off command isnt.

-ics

Anton Uklein wrote:

No, because the update was for UNIX based systems. I have no idea what causes the grass in the JI maps to convert into floating wireframe meshes, but it's still annoying. Apparently there's a console command to fix it by removing the grass entirely, but I don't know it.